Eligibility criteria for universities in New Zealand
In New Zealand, the eligibility criteria for international students vary from university to university and course to course. The eligibility requirements for bachelors include a minimum percentage of 60-65% in class 12th. Gap year not more than 1 year and IELTS overall band 6 with no individual band less than 5.5 is acceptable in most of the universities. If the percentage in the 12th is less than 60 % then pathways are recommended. The eligibility requirements for masters include a minimum required percentage which is Subject to Noosr recognition. If students don’t meet the criteria then the pathways would be recommended. Overall band of 6-6.5 and no individual band less than 6.0 for IELTS is generally accepted by most universities in New Zealand.
The following documents are required for Undergraduate and postgraduate admissions:
- Academic Records (10th,12th): Marksheet / school leaving certificate for standards 10th&12th.For masters, transcripts of record and bachelor’s degree certificate is required for admission.
- English proficiency test (IELTS, PTE, TOEFL): If the course is taught in English and the student is not a native English speaker, he/she will be required to provide IELTS or TOEFL scores. Overall band of 6-6.5 is required for New Zealand universities.
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)-Every SOP should be unique as it portrays the picture of a student’s thought process as a person to the admission committee.
- Motivation letter: Some universities seek a motivation letter from the student In a motivation letter, universities expect the student to focus more on how the program to which they are applying relates to the students’ background and future goals.
- Copy of passport/Birth certificate
- Academic CV
- Financial documents (Proof of funds): Proof of funds to support the tuition fees and living expenses in New Zealand
- Letter of Recommendation (1-2): Most of the universities ask for 2-3 LORs for the admission process. LORs are an assessment of the student’s skill set and knowledge as certified by the teacher or immediate supervisor. Some universities also have a designated format of LORs which they sent directly to the referees via email. In such cases, the referees can submit the LOR’s directly via the link sent to them.
- Work experience details: For management programs like MBA, work experience plays a critical role, and thereby at least 2-3 years of work experience is mandatory for pursuing MBA.
- A valid Health insurance