Benefits of Action Learning for organisations, leaders, team and individuals
Organisations, leaders, team and individuals face real and complex challenges. Action Learning is a process that involves a small group of people working on real problems, taking action, and learning as individuals’ team, and organization. It is an approach that helps to use the strengths, creative thinking, knowledge, experience of all resources within an organisation to solve problems.
Key aspect of Action Learning is that it does require expertise or high level of knowledge for the participants to contribute to solutions. This is a huge change in the usual approach to problem solving. Action learning process is very democratic and allows all members, equal power to contribute. People participate in their own capacity and the process allows them the opportunity to think critically, actively listen, collaborate, build on ideas, share feedback and deliberately learn in a safe environment. It is the emphasis on learning that makes the process strategic rather than tactical. Action Learning allows the group to determine the goals as discuss and discover, rather than being a rigid framework. All it requires a diverse group of people meeting and discussing a identified challenge , asking questions ,under the coaching of certified action learning coach.
Action learning can be used by individuals, teams, and organizations and can be great for personal development of individuals as well as in building a successful team and a cohesive work organization. Here is a summary of benefits for actions learning as we explore the benefits for individuals, teams and organisation.
At an individual level, action learning helps:
- Enhance personal effectiveness and productivity
- Reflect on and learn from individual experience
- Enhance personal leadership and soft skills
- Develop self-confidence and assertiveness
- Improve awareness of how assumptions, beliefs, attitudes and organizational interests influence thinking, decisions and actions
- Develop Emotional Intelligence (EI): self-awareness, others’ awareness and adaptability
- Find the courage to speak up and encourage others to do the same
Action Learning helps teams:
- Dramatically enhance team performance.
- Develop positive, mutually-respectful working relationships among co-workers at all organizational levels.
- Develop individual and team problem-solving and decision-making capability
- Develop leadership and team participation skills
- Enhance capability to reflect on and learn from collective experience rather than work in silos.
- Develop awareness in the context of multi-culturally diverse teams.
- Continually monitor and enhance team functions
Action learning helps organizations:
- Enhance business performance at all levels
- Rapidly solve urgent and important and business challenges to evolve best, collective solutions
- Achieve a substantial Return on Investment (ROI) on organization improvement projects
- The Develop a culture of staff engagement, involvement and performance, at all levels
- Set strategic direction of the company as it approaches collective solutions to many challenges
- Establish effective succession planning by developing highly qualified candidates for promotion to executive leadership positions
- Start with a one- off problem-solving approach, test its value before rolling to any other parts of the organisation
- Enable managers and leaders to develop a collaborative work environment, and provide a safe space for members to work within their own capacity, in cross – functional teams without using any expensive tools
- Become a learning
- Become more strategic in goal setting
For more information on Action Learning, connect with our TC Global learning team and they will connect you with the right resource.